Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How to avoid getting into debt from identity theft

In this post I am including how to avoid debts from identity theft. I have already made a post on prevention of identity theft in my blog. The reader’s of my blog keeps on requesting me to write on the prevention of identity theft. I think this is the most important thing for everyone to know. This is the reason I am writing this post again after doing some research on the web and I also had some chats with my friends and my readers. The points that I felt right, I am including in my post. Hope the tips will be helpful for my readers. I have already included few stories about identity theft in my blog before.

I read somewhere that 65,043 victims of identity theft are recorded by CIFAS Members in 2007. The need for each and every individual to know about the preventive methods is clear from this identity theft statistics. The following tips will help the readers to have full identity theft protection.

Here goes the ways to prevent identity theft:

1) The credit card and the debit cards should always kept with extra care.

2) The important documents like passport should be kept in a safe place. Never carry them with you unless they are required.

3) Few documents like the credit card bills, letters from doctor or employer should be shred after use. If these documents pass to the identity criminals then it will be enough raw materials for them to commit the identity fraud.

4) Always keep a thorough monitor of your bank accounts. All the credit card statements should be checked properly and kept until they are checked against the bank statements.

5) If any discrepancy is found between the bills and the bank statement then immediate step should be taken.

6) Never give your personal information to the callers, researchers or charity collectors without knowing how much genuine they are.

7) In case of online shopping never save your password and try to change your password as frequent as you can.

8) When you are shifting your house doesn’t forget to shift all your post to the shifted address.

9) While giving your personal information in the telephone to your banker be very careful. The identity theft criminal can cheat you by asking for your personal details by pretending as your banker.

10) The most important point is to secure your home. Secure the place where you keep all your valuable documents. The criminals will be more interested in taking your valuable documents rather than the television set or any other assets.

Above are the ten points that I have jotted down. I want to hear some from my readers too. In my next post onwards I will be writing on some other topic. If I get some new information on identity theft then I may include it in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment